Western Rifle Shooters Association

Do not give in to Evil, but proceed ever more boldly against it

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Question For CCW Holders

Do you know where your carry pistol and ammunition impact on a IDPA target at 50 yards?

What about 100 yards?

Have you tried to find out?

Suggestion:

- From a prone or other stable position, fire five rounds, slow fire, at an IDPA target at 50 yards, using a high center-mass hold.

- After checking your target, adjust your point of aim and fire five more slow-fire rounds.

- Check your target again and repeat, changing your point of aim as necessary, until your rounds are all impacting the target in the high center-mass area. Do NOT adjust your sights, as the purpose of this drill is to determine where your sidearm and carry ammunition shoot at non-sidearm distances.

- Once you can keep all five rounds in the high center-mass area, repeat this exercise with your target located at 100 yards.

Memorize your aiming points derived by these drills, and practice at least quarterly.

You might find this information very useful someday soon.

Tempus fugit.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent drill. On a whim I once previously targeted a 1-liter soda bottle at 100 yards with my M1911 Government Model (a 4-in barreled Kimber Pro-Carry). Indexing the base of the front site post (where it joins the slide) with the top of the rear sight (so as to raise the barrel), I was able to arc 200gr .45ACP bullets dead-on for range at 100yds. If I kept the front-sight perfectly centered between the rear-sight blades I could reliably make that 1 liter bottle dance.

The Wretched Dog

December 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like good advice. Why just CCW Holders?

December 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM  
Anonymous 348 said...

Anybody who doesn't have a rifle they carry all the time needs to run this drill.

Plus mix in some shoot and move.

December 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Bill said...

Unless you have a handgun designed for this type of shooting, it is a complete waste of time and ammunition. Anything much over 50 yards calls for a rifle. That being said, I can hit a milk jug at 100 yards with my .41 magnum with 8 3/8" barrel. But, this handgun was made to shoot at this range. I would never attempt to shoot my .45 ACP or 9mm or .22 pistols at 100 yards. Over 50 yards? Put down the handgun and practice with the rifle. Both types of weapons need their range time.

December 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger excitedVulcan said...

Good point. After "giving up" on marksmanship in favor of speed and hit quantity at close range, I've neglected both my rifle shooting as well as longer range pistol work. Weekend only a day away...

December 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, with all due respect ("Unless you have a handgun designed for this type of shooting, it is a complete waste of time and ammunition.") - note my very serious statement: Kimber Pro-Carry, 4-in barrel, .45 ACP, 200gr load, dead-on for range as indexed, dancing 1-liter bottles at 100yds. The hard part is ensuring the front sight is perfectly centered when the shot breaks to prevent lateral deviation. Elevating as described landed the rounds right on target at 100 yds.

Not a rapid fire event, to be sure, but under the right circumstances (like when I don't have my rifle with me), it demonstrated that I can reliably hit a man-sized target (the 1-liter bottle is a good surrogate for the vital zone) at 100-yards, if necessary.

At minimum, I know I can at least be dangerous at that range - even with a pistol.

Worth knowing, I think. YMMV.

The Wretched Dog

December 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home